IEEE INFOCOM 2006 VISA Information

Visa Assistance from IEEE Communications Society to obtain a visa to attend this conference, some embassies will request you to present a letter from the IEEE Communications Society.

ComSoc can only provide letters for attendees who meet one or more of the following requirements:

  • Have submitted a technical paper for review
  • Are the author/presenter of an accepted technical paper, tutorial, workshop or application session
  • Have registered for the conference with payment

To request a Visa Assistance letter click here.

IF YOU NEED AN INVITATION LETTER this will be provided by the IEEE Communications Society. Click here.

Visa Information for USA residents

Applications for visas will be accepted on a first come first serve basis only. Therefore we strongly recommend that you arrive at this Consulate General before 8:30 a.m.. Only a limited amount of applications will be accepted each day.

Applicants must have permanent residency status in the USA. The request for visa must be made at the Spanish Consulate where the applicant is a resident. This Consulate General has jurisdiccion over the following States: New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

The visa is processed in your country of residence prior to your departure. You cannot get the visa in Spain and you cannot have it sent to you.

The visa is affixed to your passport before your departure from the U.S. and must be presented at the Schengen border officials at the port of entry.

Follow this link to download the applications for visas.

Go afterwards to the kind of visa you need.

- Tourist visa and business visa.

- Student  visa  / Research Visa.

- Residence visa and work permit.


General Visa Information for EU (Schengen Area)

Spain is one of 25 member countries of the Schengen Convention (10 new members admitted on 1 May 2004), an agreement whereby all EU (European Union) member countries (except the UK and Ireland) plus Iceland and Norway abolished checks at internal borders in 2000. The other EU countries are Austria, Belgium, Czech republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia and Sweden.
EU, Norwegian and Icelandic nationals need no visa, regardless of the length or purpose of their visit to Spain. However, if they stay beyond 90 days they are required to register with the police.
Legal residents of one Schengen country (regardless of their nationality) do not require a visa for another Schengen country. Nationals of many other countries, including Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland and the USA, do not need a visa for tourist visits of up to 90 days in Spain, although some of these nationalities (including Australians and Canadians) may be subject to restrictions in other Schengen countries and should check with consulates of all Schengen countries they plan to visit. Nationals of those countries wishing to work or study in Spain may need a specific visa, so should contact a Spanish consulate before travel.

The standard tourist visa issued by Spanish consulates is the Schengen visa, valid for up to 90 days. A Schengen visa issued by one Schengen country is generally valid for travel in all other Schengen countries.Schengen visas cannot be extended. Nationals of EU countries, Norway and Iceland can enter and leave Spain at will. Those wanting to stay in Spain longer than 90 days are supposed to apply during their first month for a tarjeta de residencia (residence card). People of other nationalities who want to stay in Spain longer than 90 days are also supposed to get a residence card, and for them it's a drawn-out process, starting with a residence visa issued by a Spanish consulate in your country of residence. Start the process well in advance. Non-EU spouses of EU citizens resident in Spain can apply for residency too. The process is lengthy and those needing to travel in and out of the country in the meantime who would normally require a visa could ask for an exención de visado - a visa exemption. In most cases, the spouse is obliged to make the formal application in their country of residence.
Those needing a visa must apply in person at the consulate in the country where they are resident. You may be required to provide proof of sufficient funds, an itinerary or hotel bookings, return tickets and a letter of recommendation from a host in Spain. Issue of the visa does not guarantee entry.

You can apply for no more than two visas in any 12-month period and they are not renewable once in Spain. Visas are free for spouses and children of EU nationals. Various transit visas also exist.